Lt Col Ryan M. Lippert is the commander, Air Force Reserve Officer Training Corps (AFROTC), Detachment 535 and Professor of Aerospace Studies at Syracuse University. He is responsible for recruiting, educating, and overseeing the preparation of officer candidates through a comprehensive commissioning program.
Lt Col Lippert is a 2002 graduate of the United States Air Force Academy. After commissioning, he earned his Pilot wings in 2003 at Columbus Air Force Base, Mississippi and then served as an Air Education and Training Command T-38C instructor pilot. In 2007, he went on to fly the F-15E Strike Eagle at Seymour Johnson Air Force Base, NC, where he first became an Operational F-15E instructor and later a Formal Training Unit instructor. Finally, Lt Col Lippert served on the staff at Air Forces Central Command (AFCENT) working in the Integrated Air and Missile Defense division.
Lt Col Lippert has flown missions in support of Operation ENDURING FREEDOM, Operation INHERENT RESOLVE, and Operation NOBLE EAGLE. He has over 650 hours of combat in the F-15E.
- 2002 Bachelor of Science degree in Management, United States Air Force Academy, Colo.
- 2007 Masters of Science degree in Management – Management Information Systems, University of Maryland – University College
- 2008 Squadron Officer School, Maxwell AFB, Ala.
- 2015 Air Command and Staff College, Maxwell AFB, Ala.
- 2017 Wing Chief of Safety School, Kirtland AFB, NM
- 2020 Air War College, by correspondence
- August 2002 – September 2003, student, SUPT, Columbus Air Force Base, Miss.
- October 2003 – February 2004, student, T-38 Pilot Instructor Training, Randolph AFB, Texas.
- March 2004 – May 2007, Scheduler, Executive Officer, Check Pilot, and T-38C Instructor Pilot, 50th Flying Training Squadron, Columbus AFB, Miss.
- June 2007 – February 2008, student F-15E Basic Course, 333rd Fighter Squadron, Seymour Johnson AFB, N.C.
- March 2008 – May 2011, Flight Commander and Instructor Pilot, 336th Fighter Squadron, Seymour Johnson AFB, N.C.
- June 2011 – September 2011, student, Formal Training Instructor Course, 334th Fighter Squadron, Seymour Johnson AFB, N.C.
- October 2011 – September 2012, Chief of Standardization and Evaluation and F-15 Evaluator Pilot, 334th Fighter Squadron, Seymour Johnson AFB, N.C.
- October 2012 – June 2013, 4th Operations Group Chief, Formal Training Unit Standardization and Evaluation Pilot, Seymour Johnson Air Force Base, Goldsboro, N.C.
- June 2013 – July 2014, Special Assistant to the Commander, 4th Operations Group, Seymour Johnson Air Force Base, Goldsboro, N.C.
- July 2014 – June 2015, Student, Air Command and Staff College, Maxwell AFB, Ala.
- June 2015 – June 2017, Chief, Integrated Air and Missile Defense (IAMD) Plans, USAFCENT A5, Shaw Air Force Base, S.C.
- June 2017 – October 2018, 48th Fighter Wing Chief of Safety, RAF Lakenheath, U.K.
- November 2018 – October 2019, Director of Operations, 494th Fighter Squadron, RAF Lakenheath, U.K.
- November 2019 – January 2020, Deputy Commander, 48th Operations Group, RAF Lakenheath, U.K.
- February 2020 – June 2021, Commander, 48th Operations Support Squadron, RAF Lakenheath, U.K.
- July 2021 – Present, Commander, AFROTC Detachment 535, Syracuse University
Rating – Command Pilot
Flight Hours – More than 3040 hours and 1300 Instructor hours (T-38C and F-15E)
Aircraft Flown: F-15E, T-38C, T-38A, T-37
MAJOR AWARDS AND DECORATIONS
Air Medal with six oak leaf clusters
Meritorious Service Medal with oak leaf cluster
Air Force Commendation Medal with three oak leaf clusters
Afghanistan Campaign Medal
EFFECTIVE DATES OF PROMOTION
Second Lieutenant – 29 May 2002
First Lieutenant – 29 May 2004
Captain – 29 May 2006
Major – 1 April 2012
Lt Col – 1 Mar 2017
(Current as of July 2021)