Scholarships for Military Families

Reserve Officers’ Training Corps (ROTC) Scholarships

These scholarships are awarded on the basis of merit rather than financial need.


Army ROTC scholarships are offered at hundreds of colleges. Application packets, information about eligibility, and the telephone number of an ROTC advisor in your area are available.
Phone: 1-888-550-ARMY (1-888-550-269).

Air Force ROTC

The Air Force ROTC (AFROTC) college scholarship program targets students pursuing certain foreign language and technical degrees, although students entering a wide variety of majors may be accepted. Information about AFROTC scholarships is available.
Phone: 1-866-4-AFROTC (1-866-423-7682)


Navy ROTC offers both four-year and partial scholarships. Information and applications.
Phone: 1-800-NAV-ROTC (1-800-628-7682) ext: 29395

Veterans Service Organization Scholarships

The following organizations offer scholarships primarily to active duty military, veterans, and/or their families.

American Legion


Disabled American Veterans

Paralyzed Veterans of America

Veterans of Foreign Wars

Vietnam Veterans of America

U.S. Department of Education Grants

The U.S. Department of Education makes grant funds available to students whose parent or guardian died as a result of military service in Iraq or Afghanistan after the events of 9/11. At the time of the parent’s or guardian’s death, the student must have been younger than 24 years old and /or enrolled at least part-time at an institution of higher education. Before a student can receive such grant funds, he or she must fill out the Free Application for Federal Student AID (FAFSA) at Additional information about the FAFSA and finding money for college is at