Request for Benefit Certification form

  • Request for Certification required each term.
  • A “To Do” item will appear in MySlice for each term. Complete the Request for Certification at the time that you register for classes for the upcoming term.

    – Fall term forms accepted beginning April 1
    – Spring term forms accepted beginning October 1
    – Summer term forms accepted beginning February 1

Financial Aid

Students may apply for and receive federal aid to which they are entitled in addition to Veterans Educational Benefits. Syracuse University encourages all students to apply for financial aid. The aid process begins by filing the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) online at Additional instructions for undergraduates, graduates and law students may be found on the .  Student veterans may wish to consider applying for financial aid to provide financial resources during gap periods when Veterans Educational Benefit payments are unavailable or prior to their starting, in case of delays.

What you need to know about your federal student loan benefits.

Student Account / Bursar Bill®

Students may view account information online using MySlice, with his/her NetID and password. Veterans Educational Benefit payments received by the University are posted to the student account. Credit balances resulting from overpayment of charges may be refunded upon request. Refund requests are placed online using MySlice. Click here for additional information about Bursar Accounts.

The Office of Veteran Success will assist with payment deferrals while awaiting Post 9/11 GI Bill® tuition and fee payments provided the student and submitted required documentation. Required documents are

  • Request for Certification required each term benefits to be used.
  • Certificate of Eligibility / CoE (one-time requirement, or, if updated by VA, new copy required).

Prior to being issued the CoE, there are two acceptable documents that may be submitted.

  • a copy of your DD-214, or in the case of dependents, the TEB approval from the Department of Defense
  • a copy of the VA 22-1990 (veterans) or VA 22-1990E (dependents)


The University policy governing deployment/redeployment allows for a variety of unique solutions to potential situations in which student-veterans find themselves. These policies minimize the effects of time and financial investment put into a semester already in progress when you are called to active military service. It is important to have a copy of your orders to facilitate these processes:

  • Filing Official Withdrawal / Leave of Absence form – Student-veterans who intend to leave the University before completing degree requirements will need to file these forms whether they intend to return to the University or not. The process is initiated in the home college dean’s office for undergraduates, and in the academic department for graduate students.
  • Re-enrolling after completion of active duty – Information on this procedure can also be obtained from your home college dean’s office or academic department.
  • Receiving incompletes in some classes – Based on the specific course(s) in which you are enrolled and the point in the semester when the call-up occurs, you may be advised to discuss incomplete contracts with an individual instructor.
  • Discussing refunds of tuition and fees – Based on the date of the leave, the Bursar’s office will determine the appropriate refunds to which you are eligible.
  • Obtaining information through the Office of Veteran Success at University College – This on-site center will be available to you for quick referrals related to financial aid issues, cancellation of any campus housing contracts, allowable refunds, etc.

GI Bill® is a registered trademark of the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs (VA). More information about education benefits offered by VA is available at the official U.S. government website at