Veteran and Military Benefits Frequently Asked Questions

What types of Veterans Affairs (VA) education benefits are available?

The Department of Veterans Affairs administers a variety of Education Benefits. It is the VA who establishes and determines eligibility.

Am I eligible for VA education benefits?

Only the VA can determine if you are eligible for Education Benefits. To determine your eligibility through the VA, you will need to complete an application through the VA website.

How do I apply for Veterans Affairs (VA) Education benefits?

You may also be eligible for other education benefits that the VA offers. You can apply for these benefits through the VA to fully determine your eligibility.

What do I need to do to utilize my education benefits at Syracuse University?

Step 1: If you are using VA education benefits for the first time, please complete the
Education Benefit Application through the VA.

Step 2: Once your application has been processed, you will receive a Certificate of Eligibility (COE) from the VA. Please forward a copy of your VA COE to the Office of Veteran Success at You can call us at 315.443.0358 to discuss how your financial situation may look for you based on what the VA has approved.

Step 3: After you register for classes complete the Syracuse University’s Request for Certification (RFC) form for that term. This form is available in Syracuse University’s student portal, MySlice.

NOTE: The RFC must be submitted for each term you wish to use your VA education benefits.

Undergraduate students using the Post 9/11 GI Bill® can fill out the RFC prior to registering if you have a pre-bill from the Bursar’s Office.

Graduate students are not issued a pre-bill and should submit the RFC once you have finalized your course registration for the upcoming term.

*If you are using Chapter 31 VR&E (previously known as Vocational Rehabilitation & Employment) you do not need to fill out the RFC. If you have any questions, you may reach out to the following individuals:
– For tuition billing: Bursar’s Office, Nick Nesbitt,
– For books and supplies: Syracuse University Campus Store, Randy Marciniak,

Should I anticipate any out-of-pocket costs?

Please contact the Office of Veteran Success at or (315) 443-0358 to discuss your specific benefits and to determine if there are any out-of-pocket costs associated with your program.

What is the Yellow Ribbon Program?

Syracuse University is a Yellow Ribbon partner with the VA which allows eligible students to maximize their Post 9/11 GI Bill® benefits.


To qualify for the Yellow Ribbon Program the VA must determine you are eligible for the Chapter 33 Post 9/11 GI Bill® at the 100% benefit level. Syracuse University does not have a limit on how many students can use the Yellow Ribbon Program, however, each school and college at the University has a different maximum contribution limit per student. Please reference this chart for contribution limits. There is no application for the Yellow Ribbon Program, but please note that the Request for Certification (RFC) form will still need to be completed each term.

The Yellow Ribbon Program works in conjunction with the Chapter 33 Post 9/11 GI Bill®. To qualify for the Yellow Ribbon Program students must have entitlement remaining for the Ch 33 Post 9/11 GI Bill®. Once a student has exhausted these benefits, or reached their delimiting date, they will no longer be eligible for the Yellow Ribbon Program.

How the program works:

For qualifying students, Yellow Ribbon funding will be applied to cover remaining eligible tuition and fees once the student has exhausted the VA annual cap. The annual cap runs August 1st – July 31st of each year and the cap for the 2023-2024 school year is $27,120.05. The VA will match Syracuse University’s Yellow Ribbon contribution up to the maximum contribution listed on this chart.

What is the current payment rate of benefits, including the Monthly Housing Allowance (MHA)?

The most up to date information on the MHA can be found through the GI Bill®
Comparison Tool

How can I use military benefits if I am an Active Duty, National Guard or Reserve component service member?

DoD Tuition Assistance Program (TAP) may be available to Active duty, National Guard and Reserve components through the service member’s branch of service. The application process varies by branch. Before you register for a class at Syracuse University you must see your Installation Education Services Officer and gain approval by your commanding officer.

How to Use TA

The Office of Veteran Success does not process TA*.

If you would like to submit TA vouchers so that funding can be posted to your student account or if you have questions about the TA funding on your student account, you can contact the Bursar’s Office,

Note: If you are taking courses through the College of Professional, you will want to submit TA vouchers to and direct your specific questions about your TA funding to this contact.

*If you are using both TA and VA Education Benefits, you will want to contact the Office of Veteran Success to discuss how the two funding sources work together.

If eligible, you can use your VA education benefits while still serving on Active duty, National Guard and Reserve components. To determine if you are eligible for benefits while still serving the military, you will need to apply for benefits with the VA. If you have any questions on how to use both your tuition assistance and VA education benefits together, please contact our office at or (315) 443-0358. The Office of Veteran Success is located in the National Veterans Resource Center in Suite 012 at 101 Waverly Ave.

TA Tuition Rate Match

Select part-time degree programs offered at Syracuse University are subject to a TA tuition rate match. To learn more, you can refer to the Office of Professional Studies.

Who do I contact at Syracuse University to use my VA education benefits?

Office of Veteran Success You can reach us at or by phone at (315) 443-0358. We are located in the National Veterans Resource Center in Suite 012 at 101 Waverly Ave.

‘GI Bill® is a registered trademark of the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs (VA). More information about education benefits offered by VA is available at the official U.S. government website at