Students who are using VA Education Benefits for the first time must apply through the VA. Students who are dependents of service members using the Post 9/11 GI Bill® can find more information about the transfer of entitlement process on the VA website. 

Please note that dependents are still required to apply for benefits after the transfer is approved.

Students who have previously used VA Education Benefits at another school are encouraged to complete the VA Request for Change of Program or Place of Training form.

The VA administers several different education benefits. Each benefit has different eligibility requirements and payment rates, please see the links below for information. For questions regarding eligibility for VA Education Benefits please contact the VA by phone at 1-888-GIBILL-1 (1-888-442-4551) or through the Ask VA Portal. If you have questions on how your VA Education Benefits will be applied to your student account at Syracuse University please contact us at after the VA has established your eligibility.

Chapter 1606 Montgomery GI Bill® Selected Reserve*

Chapter 30 The Montgomery GI Bill®-Active Duty

Chapter 31 Veterans Readiness and Employment  

Chapter 33 Post-9/11 GI Bill®

Chapter 35 Survivors’ and Dependents’ Educational Assistance* 

*Please note that Ch 1606, Ch 30, and Ch 35 benefits are paid directly to the student. Syracuse University will not receive any payments from the VA for these benefits.

GI Bill® is a registered trademark of the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs (VA). More information about education benefits offered by VA is available at the official U.S. government website at