Step By Step Guide to Utilizing Your Post 9/11 G.I. Bill Benefits

Follow the steps below to use your G.I. Bill education benefits at Syracuse University.

Step 1: Apply for admission. Choose a program and apply for admission.

You can continue to complete the steps below before you have received an admissions decision. Continue to Step 2A if this is your first time using education benefits or skip to Step 2B if you are changing programs and have used your benefits before.

Step 2A (If first time using G.I. Bill: Submit the VA application)

If you are using  Post-9/11 G.I. Bill veteran benefits for the first time, submit the Veteran Affairs (VA) application, commonly known as a VA 22-1990 form, through The online application can be accessed from eBenefits also, After this is complete, the VA will send a Certificate of Eligibility by mail. You may also download a copy from either of these sites once available.

Step 2B (If used G.I. Bill Previously: Submit a Request for Change of Program or Place of Training)

Only if you have used Post-9/11 G.I. Bill veteran benefits at another institution, will you need to complete and submit form VA 22-1995 to the Office of Veteran Success at Syracuse. The form is available at

Step 3: Submit a copy of the Certificate of Eligibility (CoE)

You must submit a copy of the Certificate of Eligibility to the Office of Veteran Success at Syracuse University. You will receive the certificate from the VA, which may take several weeks after you submit the VA application. You may submit the form(s) to the Office of Veteran Success by scanning and e-mailing, or by mail, fax, or drop off. If needed, and you do not yet have the Certificate of Eligibility, the Office of Veteran Success can assist you in working with the Bursar’s Office if we have copies of the documents submitted prior to being issued the CoE. There are two such documents: a copy of your DD-214 and a copy of the VA 22-1990.

Step 4: Submit the Request for Benefit Certification.

If you are admitted to a program at Syracuse University and you are ready to enroll, you will need to complete and send the Syracuse University Request for Benefit Certification (RFC) form to the Office of Veteran Success each term you wish to use your benefits. After admission, the forms can be found online in your MySlice account,, in the financial aid section. You will need your SU NetID activated to use MySlice. If you have not already done so, with your SU ID number follow the online instructions at to activate your NetID.

Step 5: Apply for Federal Financial Aid (FAFSA).

To assist with education costs during break periods or those not covered by veteran benefits, Syracuse University recommends exploring federal aid. All students are encouraged to apply for Federal and State financial aid for which they may qualify. Students may receive all federal aid for which they qualify IN ADDITION TO their VA educational benefits. To apply for federal aid, the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) must be completed online, New York State residents may be eligible for Veteran Tuition Awards, the following link includes information and application instructions:


Contact the Department of Veterans Affairs for information regarding your months of eligibility and receiving your Certificate of Eligibility.

Contact Syracuse University’s Office of Veteran Success for assistance navigating Syracuse University and Veterans Affairs processes.