Education Employment Entertainment Internships On-Campus

How do I get my Education Benefits started?A:   You must apply for your educational benefits through the VA online at  vabenefits.vba.va.gov. For eligibility or payment history questions visit https://www.ebenefits.va.gov/ebenefits/homepage. Then prior to each semester  a Certificate of Eligibility must be completed and emailed to veterans@syr.edu. If you have any questions regarding your education benefits you may email SU’s Veteran Advisor, Kieth Doss, at veterans@syr.edu or call (315)443-3261 to make an appointment with the Veterans Resource Center.

 I have a parent who is a veteran. How can I receive VA education benefits because of their service time?“]

A:   See Chapter 35 Survivors’ and Dependents’ Educational Assistance Program and Chapter 33 Transfer of Eligibility for Dependents and Spouse.

How long does it take for me to start receiving money from my VA benefits?

A:     The Office of the Registrar certifies students’ enrollments to the VA in the order requests are received. After you submit your paperwork it takes approximately 15 business days for the university to certify it to the VA. Afterwards, it takes the VA another 30 – 45 days to process your GI Bill award.

Can I qualify for financial aid even though I receive VA benefits?
A:    Yes. Apply for financial aid through www.fafsa.ed.gov. Amounts and eligibility will vary per student. If you only qualify for loans, you have the option to decline them.

Can I receive credit for my military training?A:     It is possible but it is up to the school to accept your military training according to your degree plan. Your first step would be to send your JSTVMET, and other college transcript (if applicable) to the SU Admissions office.

How can I stay up-to-date with the Student Veterans Organization away from SVOSU.org?

A:    You can follow us on Facebook and Twitter!

How many credit hours must I have to be considered fulltime?A:    You must take a minimum of 12 credit hours a semester during the spring and fall and 9 credit hours during the summer to be classified as fulltime.

Who maintains this website?A: A group of awesome SU Student Veterans and Veterans’ supporters. Want to help? Contact the leadership here. iSchool students can achieve 3-6 credit hours for internship work via IST 471.

Can I waive international experience as an iSchool student?A:    Yes, talk with your academic counselor for the form.

Can I take courses during the winter break?A:  Yes, the Post 9/11 GI Bill will cover winter courses alongside the following Spring semester.  Classes offered vary depending on instructor availability so check the Syracuse University website for more information.

Are there any scholarships I can apply to?A:  Yes, there’s an ever-growing list on our Resources page.

If you have more questions, feel free to ask in our new forums section or contact us.