Lieutenant Colonel Sheets is the Commander, Air Force Reserve Officer Training Corps (AFROTC), Detachment 535, and Chair, Department of Aerospace Studies, Syracuse University. As Commander, Lt Col Sheets is responsible for developing AFROTC cadets to become the best Air Force leaders and citizens of character dedicated to serving our Nation. As Chair of the Department of Aerospace Studies, he collaborates and coordinates with university leadership and 12 cross-town colleges to ensure program and student advancement.
Lt Col Sheets commissioned in 2005 as a distinguished graduate from Virginia Tech ROTC Det 875. He is a joint qualified officer and senior special operations pilot with deployments to Europe, the Middle East, Southeast Asia, and Africa. Prior to his current position, he was assigned as an Operations Officer to Deputy Director for Special Operations on the Joint Staff and also served a year as the Director of Operations for the Defense Innovation Board in the Office of Secretary of Defense.
- 2005 Bachelor of Science in Economics, Virginia Tech, Blacksburg, Va.
- 2005 Air and Space Basic Course, Maxwell Air Force Base, Ala.
- 2011 Squadron Officer School Resident Program, Maxwell AFB, Ala.
- 2013 Masters of Science in Sports Management, America Military University, Charlestown, W.Va.
- 2016 Professional Military Education Instructor Certification, Theories and Practices in Adult Education, Maxwell AFB, Ala.
- 2018 Masters of Military Operational Art and Science, Air Command Staff College, Residence, Maxwell AFB, Ala.
- 2018 Joint and Combined Warfighting School, PME II, Joint Forces Staff College, Residence, Norfolk NAS, VA
- 2020 Squadron Commander Course and Academic Instructor Certification, Maxwell AFB, Ala.
- August 2005 – January 2006, Assistant Stan/Eval Liaison Officer & Scheduler, 71st Fighter Squadron, Langley Air Force Base (AFB), Va.
- January 2006 – May 2006, Joint Specialized Undergraduate Pilot Training, 8th Flight Training Squadron, Vance AFB, Okla.
- May 2006 – April 2007, Undergraduate Pilot Training, VT 35, Corpus Christi, Texas
- April 2007 – April 2009, Executive Officer, U-28A Pilot, 319th Special Operations Squadron, Hurlburt Field, Fla.
- April 2009 – June 2010, Tactics Officer, Instructor Pilot, 319th Special Operations Squadron, Hurlburt Field, Fla.
- June 2010 – October 2011, PC-12 Flight Commander, Chief Pilot and Evaluator Pilot, 19th Special Operations Squadron, Hurlburt Field, Fla.
- October 2011 – June 2015, Flight Commander and Chief of Requirements and Integration, Special Operations Squadron
- June 2015 – March 2016, Assistant Director of Operations, Instructor Pilot, Special Operations Squadron
- March 2016 – June 2018, Air University Fellow, Air University, Maxwell, AFB, Ala.
- June 2018 – April 2019, Operations Officer, Deputy Director of Special Operations, J- 37, Joint Staff, The Pentagon, Washington, D.C.
- April 2019 – July 2020, Director of Operations, Defense Innovation Board, Office of Secretary of Defense, The Pentagon, Washington, D.C.
- July 2020 – Current, Commander and Professor of Aerospace Studies, Detachment 535, Air Force Reserve Officer Training Corps, Syracuse University, Syracuse, New York
SUMMARY OF JOINT ASSIGNMENTS
- June 2018 – July 2020, Operations Officer, Deputy Director of Special Operations, J- 37, Joint Staff, The Pentagon, Washington, D.C., as a major
Rating: senior pilot
Flight hours: more than 3,900 flying hours and 2,400 combat hours
Aircraft Flown: U-28A and other fixed wing aircraft
MAJOR AWARDS AND DECORATIONS
Defense Meritorious Service Medal (1 OLC)
Air Medal with (18 OLC)
Air Force Aerial Achievement Medal
Joint Service Commendation Medal
Air Force Commendation Medal (1 OLC)
Air Force Achievement Medal
Air Force Combat Action Medal
EFFECTIVE DATES OF PROMOTION
Lieutenant Colonel May 1, 2020
Major Dec. 1, 2015
Captain June 1, 2009
First Lieutenant June 1, 2007
Second Lieutenant June 1, 2005
Senior Airman Sept. 15, 2001
Airman First Class June 10, 2000
(Current as of July 2020)